Tonight I went for a walk with my Mama at dusk, wearing be-ribboned flip flops in the dust.
She told me to take them off because I was walking “weird” to avoid sand in my soles. When I obeyed her, she made a big deal out of the elusive sticker patches that were sure to attack my feet and leave them sore for days. She told me to put my shoes back on because it was better to walk funny than to be stabbed by a goat head. Sometimes there’s no winning with mamas.
There were a lot of bugs. I ate seven, because I have to talk when I walk with my mom. One flew up my nose. Really.
We didn’t walk alone. We walked with three dogs in the front and three cats in the back. I got mad at one point because I didn’t bring my camera, and so many funny things were happening, and so many beautiful things were unfurling on this spring night in the country.
You can’t capture life…so I just lived it.
And, in the living, I was thankful for:
196. A cat parade during an evening walk at the farm
197. Electric blue sky over melted yellow cubes of hay
198. Hearing cows lowing in the distance
199. The feeling you’ve walked into an older century where there were still cows, but really it’s just the peaceful now, and you are wearing flip flops.
200. Realizing that when I clean the toilet, I take time to pray. This thought redeemed toilet time for me, because heretofore I was SORT of annoyed that I was having to do it so often (um, a 2 year old boy lives here). God redeems the mundane.
I’m sorry the last one was random. I’m just being honest here. For more gratitude lists that probably don’t involve bathrooms, click on the picture below: